Y’all! I have a soup recipe for you that you’re going to LOVE! This soup is so darn good! I have made it twice in a week because my family loved it so much! Plus, its soup season! We eat lots of soup in months of October and November! This soup is rich and creamy and bursting with garden fresh flavors!!! The grilled cheese croutons are a fun and tasty way to dress up this soup!
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 cans of tomato 28oz
2 tbsp sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup of heavy cream, half and half or milk
1 onion chopped
1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
fresh chopped chives (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Croutons
4 pieces of bread
2 slices of cheese (american or cheddar)
2 tbsp olive oil
yields: 4 servings
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Start by making the croutons. Make your two grilled cheese sandwiches. Cut the grilled cheese into small squares. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes. Stirring a few times during the cooking process.Remove from oven and set aside.
2. In a large pot add olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, oregano, basil and garlic sauté for about 8 minutes or until onions are translucent.
3. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, pumpkin and sugar and bring to a low simmer. Allow to cook for about 12-15 minutes or until the mixture has slightly thickened. Add heavy cream or milk and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Using an immersion blender or transfer into blender or food processor puree soup until there is no large chunks.
5. Ladle into bowls and garnish with grilled cheese croutons and fresh chopped chives.
A perfect way to use up that pumpkin puree, tomatoes, and fresh herbs from the garden! The pumpkin adds a festive twist to your traditional tomato bisque and of course if you’re not a pumpkin fan you can always eliminate that ingredient!
Grow it. Pick it. Cook it. Eat it.