I usually try not to fry my veggies but every once in a while it’s a nice treat! This recipe is simple garden deliciousness!! Fried eggplant, fresh tomato slices, fresh mozzarella cheese stacked up and top with fresh basil! YUM!
2 small eggplant sliced or 1 large
2 fresh tomatoes sliced
1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup panko or italian bread crumbs
1/3 cup of flour
salt and pepper to taste
- Start by slicing your eggplant and tomatoes and set aside.
- Add oil to pan and turn on medium to high heat. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In three separate bowls place flour, bread crumbs and eggs. Crack and scramble eggs.
- Place eggplant in flour, coating both sides. Then dip into eggs and then into the bread crumbs and repeat for each slice of eggplant.
- Place eggplant in oil and fry each side until golden brown. This should be about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Then remove eggplant from oil and place on paper towel. Create your stacks, start with eggplant, mozzarella and tomato and repeat once more.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.
- Remove from oven and top with basil leaf. Salt and pepper to taste and ENJOY!
Click on Eggplant for my post on how to and tips on growing eggplant in the garden or check out some of my other recipes with eggplant!
Grow it. Pick it. Cook it. Eat it.