With Mother’s Day right around the corner, look no further for the perfect sweet treat to make for your Mama! This creme brulee is creamy and savory, full of vanilla flavor with a hint of floral!
With lavender in full bloom in NC what a perfect time to use those buds, than in this delightful dessert!
1 vanilla bean
2 tbsp dried lavender
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 tbsp granulated sugar
4 strawberries for garnish (optional)
1 1/2 cup water
Yields: 4 creme brulee
1. In a sauce pan heat two cups of cream, and lavender over medium heat. With a knife slice the vanilla bean down the center and remove the seeds. Place seeds and vanilla pod in pan.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat. Let lavender and vanilla bean steep in cream for 15 minutes.
3. Place egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in bowl and whip for 3 minutes or until egg whites start to turn light in color.
4. Strain cream. Add the cream a little at a time, stirring now with a wooden spoon. Pour the cream into four shallow ramekins and place on a rimmed cookie sheet.
5. Pour water and maybe more hot water into the pan and allow it to come up half way on the ramekins. Bake for 40 to 45 min. or until the creme brulee is set, it should still be jiggle in the center.
6.Remove the ramekins and let cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve, 2 hours or up to 3 days.
7. When ready to serve, remove ramekins from refrigerator 30 min. prior. Cover the tops of the brulee with the remaining 1 tbsp of sugar each. Light a torch, with the flame not too close melt the sugar to form a hard crust on top.
8. Let cool for at least 5 min then before serving. When ready to serve slice strawberry and lightly sprinkle strawberry with sugar. Place on top of creme brulee! TA DA now its time to indulge!
TIP: If you do not have a torch you can use your broiler! Hit broil on your oven and place ramekins on cookie sheet (no water). Place them on the highest rack and cook until sugar is browning (like in photo above).
This doesn’t take long! Keep a close watch! Then place my creme brulee back in the fridge for at least 20-30 minutes before serving!
If you have guest coming over, brûlée the tops of your creme before guests arrive and place back in fridge! They will be just fine! 😉
Your Mama is sure to love this classic dessert with a twist!
Grow it. Pick it. Cook it. Eat it.