Its been so long since I have posted! I started school for dental assisting in August and life has just been SO busy!
Oh, how I miss blogging! So I figured it was time to post a quick little something! I had a couple of recipes I never published from last spring that I wanted to share will y’all since spring is almost here!!! Hooray!
A simple salad recipe! Fresh, light and full of garden flavors! The chive vinegar is super simple to make and is a great way to use those beautiful chive blossoms! Yes, chive blossoms are edible too!
This vinegar needs to sit for 1-2 days before using for the best achievable flavor!
Ingredients for Vinegar:
6-10 fresh chive blossoms
1/2 cup of white vinegar
Yields: 1 small jar
Ingredients for Salad:
1 bag fresh spinach
1-5 chives & blossoms
1 cup cucumber chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 boiled egg
1 cup blackberries
zest from 1 whole lemon
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
Yields: 2-4 servings
1. Days before making the salad, prep the dressing. In a small mason jar place vinegar and chive blossoms and place in fridge until ready to use.
TIP: I like to clean the chive blossoms with water and dry before placing in jar. The vinegar will turn a pretty purple after a couple of days and that is a good indication it is ready!
2. Clean spinach if needed and place in bowl.
3. Clean berries. Add the feta, egg, walnuts, cucumbers and berries to bowl.
4. Chop chives and sprinkle over salad. Then if you would like, pluck the remaining chive blossoms and add to salad or add them whole. This is personal preference really.
5. Add your dressing. I used the 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 oil and 1/3 lemon zest for the dressing for this salad.
A simple and healthy spring salad with lots of flavor and something to do with all those chives and blossoms. This salad would be great with chicken or fish! Enjoy!!
Grow it. Pick it. Cook it. Eat it.